Mary is an Obstetrician and Gynaecologist currently undertaking a four year research fellowship (including a PhD) with the Centre of Maternal and Newborn Health. Mary completed her undergraduate studies and clinical foundation programme in Aberdeen, Scotland and then returned to Northern Ireland for her speciality training in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Mary undertook the Voluntary Services Overseas (VSO) – Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologist (RCOG) Fellowship working as a full time clinical medical volunteer in Ethiopia for one year.
Research in progress
• A survey of healthcare providers’ knowledge and attitudes regarding pain relief in labor for women in Ethiopia.
• Maternal morbidity: factors associated with self-reported ill-health, during and after pregnancy in Jamaica.
• Measuring the burden of ill-health during and after pregnancy in 11,454 women in India, Pakistan, Kenya and Malawi.
• Medical volunteers views on partnering with Voluntary Services Overseas (VSO) in Ethiopia.
• Healthcare provider’s views and experiences with international medical volunteering.
• Female genital mutilation: Social and cultural aspects.
• Female genital mutilation: Clinical aspects.
Teaching: Mary has experience in clinical teaching and supervision for midwifery and medical undergraduate and postgraduate students both in the UK and aboard. Mary is currently involved in lecturing on different modules for the Masters (MSc) programme in International Public Health. Mary is the convenor for the module on Maternal and Newborn Health (Trop 924) for the MSc in International Public Health. She is also lecturing on diverse subjects on other MSc modules, and the DTM&H including cervical carcinoma, female genital mutilation and gynaecological conditions at LSTM. She holds a certificate in Postgraduate Clinical Medical Education supporting learning from the Queen’s University, Belfast.
Supervision of Master students
2015-2016 Secondary analysis of domestic violence in pregnancy in a population based survey of women in Jamaica.
2015-2016 Healthcare providers’ views of domestic violence in women during and after pregnancy in Pakistan.
2014-2015 Determinants of skilled birth attendant utilization among women of childbearing age in Somalia.
Relevant Expertise, Professional Memberships
Research Mary has extensive experience in designing and conducting clinical audit, surveys, quantitative and qualitative research in various low-resource settings.