Would you like to join an established occupational health (OH) team with specialist expertise in travel and tropical medicine?
Are you interested in developing your knowledge and experience in relation to occupational health, travel, and tropical medicine?
Well Travelled Clinics Ltd is a subsidiary company of the world-renowned Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM). We are LSTM’s dedicated travel health clinic specialising in providing pre-travel occupational health assessment and advice to those who work overseas. We also provide an in-house OH service to LSTM staff and students as well as other organisations within Liverpool.
To find out more please click on the link.
This is a fantastic position for a newly qualified Occupational Health Physician with an interest in travel medicine to support the Senior Occupational Health Physician and occupational health team at LSTM, through the provision of occupational health services for corporate clients, providing pre and post deployment medical services and expert occupational and travel risk assessment, including humanitarian, oil & gas, and shipping workers.
You will be working with an Experienced Occupational Health Consultant and Occupational Health Advisor and a team of travel and tropical medicine specialists. Training and development in travel health will be provided and you will be able to take advantage of continuing professional development (CPD) activities within LSTM.
The successful candidate will support the oversight of occupational health assessment and surveillance and sickness and absence management services for corporate occupational health clients. You will also participate in the on-going business development and management support of Occupational Health services within the Well Travelled Clinic
Main duties include (but are not limited to):
- Carry out pre-deployment medical assessments and visa medicals for corporate clients, including physical assessments, blood and urine tests and completion of medical reports and visa forms.
- Undertake comprehensive risk assessments of the pre-travel health needs and immunisation plans for clients, particularly complicated travellers. Manage own client caseload.
- Review and advise on ‘paper-based’ medical documentation relating to periodic and pre deployment medical assessments which have been carried out overseas for corporate clients.
- Offer clinical advice and support to other clinical staff regarding complicated travel itineraries and for patients with complex medical histories, including telephone support to other Well Travelled Clinic sites during contracted hours for WTC.
- Liaise with external practitioners as appropriate including General Practitioners and hospital staff regarding the treatment and/or admission of patients as appropriate.
- Assess the fitness of workers for specific tasks, based on the clinical and occupational history and clinical signs; understanding of the particular occupation involved; performance of further clinical examination; including further tests, as appropriate.
- Analyse data from surveillance programmes using sound epidemiological methods to identify trends in worker health and recommend any remedial measures necessary to improve worker health.
- Assist with the identification of prospective clients and with the development of business cases and tenders for new occupational health services.
- Participate in relevant teaching as required for Well Travelled Clinics/LSTM regarding Occupational and Travel Health especially in relation to trainee doctor posts and medical and nursing students who are on placement in the clinic.
The Candidate: Key to the success of your application is your ability to demonstrate success against the criteria below (see the attached job description for the full criteria):
Education & training
MBBS or equivalent
Diploma in Occupational Medicine (DOccMed) -
(or currently completing or planning to undertake DOccMed)
Full UK GMC registration
Experience of complex case management and working in a range of NHS or business sectors.
Knowledge, skills & competencies
Demonstrate achievement of the FOM’s competencies in occupational medicine and comply with the General Medical Council’s: Good Medical Practice Guidance, through training and experience and demonstrate that these have been maintained through continuing professional development (CPD).
General and personal characteristics
Committed to the implementation of clinically effective, evidence-based practice.
Work with limited supervision and be able to work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
Able to work with sensitivity/tact, including a commitment to confidentiality.
Your hours of work will be 4 clinic sessions per week, generally worked Monday to Friday to fit the needs of the clinic schedules. However, additional clinical sessions are available to cover annual leave and periods of high demand.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS and/or other international criminal record check prior to appointment and at regular points during employment. The outcome must be satisfactory to WTC and LSTM, as the duties of this post will involve direct and/or indirect contact with vulnerable adults and/or children.
Closing Date: 18th May 2021
Interview Date: 26th May 2021
If you have any informal enquiries please contact email@example.com
Application Process: To apply for the position please follow this link and upload your CV and Covering Letter.
Inclusion is central to our values at LSTM.
We seek to attract and recruit people who reflect the diversity across our communities, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity, nationality, faith or belief, social background, age and disability. LSTM selects candidates based on skills, qualifications, and experience.
We welcome conversations about flexible working; and applications from those returning to employment after a break from their careers.
Due to the volume of applications, we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role.
Look at some of the great work we have achieved over the past year by viewing our annual report:
LSTM actively promotes Equal Opportunities and Safeguarding Policies