Teaching: Systematic Reviews for Policy and Practice
This course aims to provide students with critical, higher-order skills in order to find, read, appraise and interpret relevant, reliable research summaries. To provide knowledge and critical understanding of how research evidence may be used in policy and practice in middle and low income countries.
- Introduction to the course: Evidence and what it means to different stakeholders
- Introduction to systematic reviews of effects
- Re-cap on what is a SR and feedback on reviews
- Statistical interpretation
- Risk of bias and statistics
- Using GRADE to develop evidence-based recommendations
- Systematic reviews of qualitative research
- SUPPORT project and tools to assess applicability
- Searching and navigating the Cochrane Library (laboratory workshop)
- Guideline development and appraisal
- Strategies for changing health professionals' practice
- Knowledge translation and influencing policy
- Lobbying game: bringing politics and complexity
This course employs a mix of seminars, practical sessions in the computer lab to navigate the Cochrane Library and facilitated group work to clarify understanding of the studies and articles.
Expectations - Students are expected to carry out assigned reading prior to each session and to feed this knowledge into discussion alongside reflection upon their own professional practice. This is an integral part of this course and you will be expected to take on a minimum of 50 hours of self directed learning during the 2 week course.
10 Academic Credits at Masters Level
For an additional fee of £95, you can be entered for full Academic Credits for this course (awarded by the University of Liverpool). The assessments are coming soon.
Please note that assessments may change at the discretion of the Directors of Study. All students will be made aware of new assessment details. The academic credits are offered to provide choice and flexibility to all our students, and students who do not wish to be entered for academic credits will be awarded a Certificate of Attendance.