Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine (LSTM) takes your privacy very seriously in all our interactions with you. Developing a better understanding of our supporters through their personal data enables us to make better decisions, tailor our interactions with you, and fundraise more efficiently. Our policy is outlined below and we will refer to it on the occasions when we have need to communicate with you. We will keep this policy up-to-date by amending it when we make any changes to the way we handle your personal data.
LSTM is the Data Controller of the information it holds or will hold on you. You can contact us about your personal data and data protection by emailing email@example.com or by post to Fundraising Department, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, L3 5QA.
When will we contact you?
We will get in touch with you if you have contacted us about making a donation or in response to any enquiries you may have made. Also, as you have shown an interest in LSTM’s activities, to keep you up to date with what we are doing and how your donations are used, we may contact you with news from LSTM, to invite you to participate in surveys or events, or to notify you about fundraising initiatives. If we wish to use your personal data for any reasons other than those originally advised to you then we will be in touch to request your consent.
You can choose what sort of information you wish to receive from LSTM by choosing to:
- Receive all communications from LSTM (as outlined above – this is currently the default setting for all of our supporters)
- Receive LSTM fundraising communications only (including information on how your donation has been used)
- Receive general communications about LSTM, excluding fundraising information
- Receive no communications from LSTM
You can also choose the method(s) through which you are happy to be contacted (e.g. mail, email, phone, SMS).
All preferences can be notified when your data is collected and by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. We will endeavour to make changes within seven business days of receiving your request.
How we collect information about you
We may collect information about you whenever you interact with us. For example, when you donate to us, ask about our activities or volunteering opportunities, attended an event, met with a member of our team, interacted with us on social media, or otherwise given us any other personal information.
We may also receive information about you from third parties, but only if you’ve given them permission to share your information.
What details we collect
We may collect names, addresses, e-mail addresses, telephone numbers, business details, bank account details (where you have provided these), tax status for the purposes of collecting Gift Aid, and records of your interactions with us (e.g. education details and event attendance). In order to ensure that the data we hold about you is accurate and up to date, we may occasionally use information sources that are in the public domain to verify your details, such as address and telephone number. Sometimes we may use third parties to verify and supplement the information that we hold as we only want to send you information which we believe you will be interested in.
We may also collect sensitive, personal data and/or special categories of data from you, such as data relating to:
- racial or ethnic origin
- health and disabilities
How we use your data
We use your information for:
- The administration of donations and legacies
- Communication with you about news from LSTM and activities you might be interested in
- LSTM event invitations
- Targeted marketing of LSTM programmes and short courses
- Internal research, profiling and analysis to evaluate the effectiveness of LSTM and to better target our activities
We use internal profiling and screening techniques to ensure communications are relevant and timely, and to provide an improved experience for our supporters. Profiling also allows us to target our resources effectively, which we know is important to our supporters. This enables us to better understand the people who support us and to tailor appropriately any future requests for funding to those who may be able and willing to give more than they currently do.
We may analyse geographic, demographic and other information relating to you to better understand your interests and preferences in order to contact you with the most relevant communications. In doing this, we may use additional information from third party sources when it is available. Such information is compiled using publicly available data about you, for example addresses, listed Directorships or typical earnings in a given area.
We do not provide any personal data to third parties for profiling.
Legal rights to use your data
We only use your data where we have the right to do so. In particular, we have the following legal bases for the processing of your personal data:
- For non-special / non-sensitive data:
- Where it is necessary for the performance of any contract you may have with us (for example, a direct debit instruction), or take steps to enter into such a contract; and
- Where it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests.
- For special / sensitive data:
- Where it has been manifestly made public by you; and
- Where it is necessary for statistical purposes in accordance with Article 89 of the General Data Protection Regulation, in a manner which provides for suitable and specific measures to safeguard he fundamental rights and the interests of you (including pseudonymisation and/or anonymisation)
In addition to the above bases, we may also process for other reasons where it has received your explicit, freely given consent.
Your data will not be processed outside of the EEA without your prior written consent.
Retention of data and updating your information
We hold your information only as long as necessary for each purpose we use it and in accordance with your rights below. We review our retention periods on a regular basis. When the information is no longer required, it will be destroyed securely.
If you change your mind, you can unsubscribe at any time or if you want to update or amend your personal information, you can contact us at: email@example.com or Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool, L3 5QA. We will endeavour to make the changes within seven business days of receiving your request.
Sharing of your data
We will not share your data unless you have given us your consent. However, if we run an event in partnership with another named organisation your details may need to be shared (however we would only share the minimum information that is necessary). We will be very clear what will happen to your data when you register and when we collect your data.
Your rights and how to find out what information we hold about you
You have certain rights, which include:
- The right to obtain access to your personal data (what personal data of yours we hold)
- The right to have personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete
- The right to request the deletion or removal of personal data where we are not otherwise entitled to retain and process such data and there is no compelling reason for its continued processing
- The right to restrict or suppress the processing of your personal data, in certain circumstances. Further information is available upon request
- The right to withdraw consent at any time, where relevant; and
- The right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority (the Information Commissioner’s Office)
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or Fundraising Team, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, Pembroke Place, Liverpool, L3 5QA.
Further information, including how to request access to your personal data can be found here.
LSTM is committed to good fundraising practice.
Last updated on 16/10/2017